Starting this year, 2019, I have been writing down all the new tracks that have been released from artists I like. At the beginning of a new month, I will be choosing my favorite single and album/EP that has been released the previous month. I will also include a list of the complete tracks/albums I have written down during the whole month and eventually a list of artists I discovered that have also released a track.
Juice by Lizzo is my favorite track of January. It’s a groovy track with a catchy tune that get’s stuck in your head. Lizzo is a great lyricist and manages to put a few puns in her new song. The main story behind this track is that Lizzo knows that she isn’t a “snack”, as referred in the lyrics by the line “No, I’m not a snack at all”, but immediately after that she sings “Look, baby, I’m the whole damn meal” to prove that you should be happy and confident with who you are and what you look like. The title of the track has a whole bunch of definitions itself, “Juice” is slang for respect or power, but it also refers to alcohol (among other things).
Overall is it a powerful track, with a strong meaning and a happy melody.
Amo by Bring Me The Horizon is my favorite album of January. Every song on the album has a different setting, you could almost say a different genre. As the title of the album already indicates, most tracks are about love, although not the ‘ordinary’ love.
The track “Mother tongue” is about the relationship between Oliver Sykes, the lead singer of the band, and a woman he met during a photo shoot. She didn’t speak English very well, and Oliver couldn’t speak Portuguese. There is an important line in the song, “Don’t say you love me;
Oliver defined the meaning of this line in Genius Verified:
My favorite track on this album is “In the dark”, the meaning behind it is less beautiful as the sound of the track itself. This song is about how Oliver found out about his now ex-wife cheating on him, and how he recovers from feeling miserable.
Overall the album has an amazing story behind its tracks, and it’s wonderful to see what the band is capable of.
A complete list of new tracks this month:
– New Horizons, Brian May (single)
– Midnight thoughts, Set It Off (single)
– Medicine, Bring Me The Horizon (single)
– Juice, Lizzo (single)
– Don’t cry, Emarosa (single)
– Northern lights, Death Cab For Cutie (single)
– I’m sorry, Drag Me Out (single)
– Kids, PUP (single)
– Bubble Gum, De Staat (album)
– Who do you trust, Papa Roach (album)
– Strength in numb333rs, Fever333 (album)
– Yeah Yeah Yeah No, Jett Rebel (EP)
– Human, Dodie (album)
– Mother tongue, Bring Me The Horizon (single)
– Nihilist blues, Bring Me The Horizon (ft. Grimes) (Single)
– Hazy shade of winter, Gerard Way ft. Ray Toro (single)
– I’m so tired, Lauv ft. Troye Sivan (single)
– Amo, Bring Me The Horizon (album)
– Human, Smash Into Pieces (single)
– Drug, Simple Creatures (single)
– Cautious, Emarosa (single)
– I’ve been waiting (w/ILoveMakonnen and Fall Out Boy), Lil Peep (single)